Long Story Short: Ultimate Nutrition ISO SENSATION 93 Whey Protein Powder, Natural Flavour.
Read my review about this product in this blog post.
Protein Powders are basically ‘stuff that builds muscle’ in the eyes of an average bodybuilder (although I believe it is highly overrated). Usually, people correlate the word ‘protein’ with ‘muscle’. So, whenever someone says the word ‘protein’, somewhere in the mind we do think of ‘muscle’! There is usually the ‘Directly Proportional Protein Muscle Theorem’ in the minds of the people that higher the amount of protein you consume, the more muscle you will build, especially in the minds of amateur and teen bodybuilders in India.
I would like to point out that such is not the case (if you already did not know that). Any person, be it a bodybuilder, a lazy bum, an athlete, a crippled person or even a baby, needs a balanced diet consisting of all the three macro nutrients – carbs, proteins and fats. And in addition, they also need micro nutrients like vitamins and minerals in order for the body to efficiently run the system.
There are many diet patterns that can be followed, but the best one in my opinion for the general population is eating high carbs, medium protein and low fat diet. Perfect carbohydrates include a combination of complex carbs filled with fibers as well as simple sugars from healthy foods. Perfect proteins include consumption of proteins throughout the day containing balanced amino acid profile. Perfect fats include consumption of unsaturated fats and avoiding saturated fat as much as possible. These are just my two cents. You may agree to disagree.
Ultimate Nutrition has been in the protein powder industry since a long time. Their products have always been trustworthy. But this product is on a whole new level! Now, I do not want to make this post unnecessarily long because this is not me trying to convince you to buy this protein powder. That is your choice. I will just lay out the facts about this protein powder and you shall decide whether you’ll shift to it or not.
ISO-SENSATION 93 – NATURAL FLAVOR
Serving Size: 1 Scoop = 32 grams.
Protein per Serving: 30 grams.
Servings per Container: Around 71.
Protein per Serving Ratio: 93/100 (which is why it is called ISO SENSATION 93).
Amount Per Serving (32 grams)
Cholesterol: 2 mg (1% of daily value based on a 2000 calorie diet).
Sodium: 30 mg (2 % of daily value based on a 2000 calorie diet).
Carbohydrate: 1 g
Sugars: <1 g
Protein: 30 g
Calcium: 160 mg (16% of daily value based on a 2000 calorie diet).
Typical Amino Acid Profile
(mg per serving)
*Essential Amino Acids
L-Alanine . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1530
L-Arginine . . . . . . . . . . . . . 630
L-Aspartic Acid . . . . . . . . 3150
L-Cystine/Cystein . . . . . . . 720
L-Glutamic Acid . . . . . . . . 5130
L-Glycine . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 480
L-Histidine . . . . . . . . . . . . . 480
L-Isoleucine* . . . . . . . . . . 1860
L-Leucine* . . . . . . . . . . . . 3210
L-Lysine* . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3330
L-Methionine* . . . . . . . . . . 660
L-Phenylalanine* . . . . . . . . 840
L-Proline . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1680
L-Serine. . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1320
L-Threonine* . . . . . . . . . . 1950
L-Tryptophan* . . . . . . . . . . 510
L-Tyrosine . . . . . . . . . . . . . 840
L-Valine* . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1680
Total . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 30000
DIRECTIONS: Mix 1 scoop in 6 ounces (177 ml) of cold water or non-fat milk (you may mix a little bit of 100% natural unsweetened cocoa to the natural flavored protein powder for a chocolaty taste). Consume 1 to 4 servings per day (depending on your protein requirements). For best results, consume 1 serving immediately after you workout.
INGREDIENTS: IsoChill® (Double Cold-Temperature Processed Cross-Flow FullSpectrum Premium Microfiltrated Whey Protein Isolate), Colostrum, Glutamine Complex (Glutamine Peptides, Glutapure® Glutamine, N-Acetyl L-Glutamine), SI Complex (Alpha Lipoic Acid, d-Pinitol, 4-Hydroxyisoleucine), D Complex (Protease, Lactase), Lactoferrin, and Soy Lecithin.
Contains Milk, Soy and Wheat.
We have till now seen the supplement’s nutrition facts. Now, below we’ll discuss about the ingredients and why I consider this protein powder as the perfect choice for people living in India (this protein is awesome for people living outside India as well, but there are many trustworthy cheaper alternatives available in other countries, so this becomes one of the best protein powders outside India).
For any normal bodybuilder or athlete (these two types of people are almost the only ones who are going to supplement their diet with protein powders), staying healthy as well as fit in the long run is essential. And when I say healthy, just having a low body-fat percentage and good amount of muscle does not make you healthy. Your body should be functioning properly from the inside. When you feed your body a lot of chemicals and artificial calorie free stuffs, your body might not face any problems today or might even benefit from them temporarily in some cases, but doing so is not an ideal choice if you are planning to live a healthy and sustainable life for long. So, you must always try to avoid consuming products with shit load of ingredients which you can’t even pronounce properly. That is the main reason I recommend staying away from protein powders if possible i.e. if you can obtain good amounts of protein following a real foods diet, and if you do need to consume protein powders, then always go for the unflavored a.k.a. natural flavored ones as they are the best case scenario.
Ultimate Nutrition’s ISO SENSATION 93 Contains:
Let’s discuss what these ingredients actually are!
- Micro-filtrated Whey Protein Isolate – It is basically just the whey protein isolate powder which is obtained after undergoing a lot of ultra low temperature micro filtration processes. Nothing new here. Plain good old protein. With super low carbs. And almost no fat.
- Colostrum – This is a form of milk produced by the mammary glands of mammals (including humans) in late pregnancy. Colostrum contains antibodies to protect the newborn babies against diseases. However, the benefits of colostrum do not stop at birth! Various studies have shown that colostrum continues to exert important biological activities when given to adult as well. As our bodies age more and more, we produce less and less of the immune factors which are needed to maintain optimal health. Supplementing with colostrum can help replenish these stores. But do know that, in my honest opinion, it will hardly make a difference if you supplement colostrum or not. If you are going to fall sick, you will fall sick. So this ingredient is really not at all necessary in the product. I do not know why they have added it.
- Glutamine Complex – Ultimate Nutrition has added glutamine complex to this product. Basically, in times of stress (for example heavy weight training, sprinting, and so on), various parts of our body demands so much glutamine that our body cannot manufacture enough. In these times of stress, glutamine supplementation can make a difference. You can google more about glutamine if you want, but long story short, supplementation of L-glutamine causes an anti-catabolic effect by keeping muscle cell glutamine levels elevated, preserves muscle mass and improves nitrogen balance. The ‘Peptide-Bonded Glutamine’, ‘N-Acetyl L-Glutamine’ and ‘Glutapure’ enter muscle cells fast, break down to free glutamine and perform essential metabolic functions. But again, in my honest opinion, this was also really not necessary. I do not know why they added this as well. If one wants to consume glutamine, he/she will buy it seperately! Why do you gotta put it in the protein powder Ultimate Nutrition! Its not enough to make a difference anyways!
- SI Complex – Ultimate Nutrition’s SI Complex includes ‘Alpha-Lipoic Acid’, ‘d-Pinitol’ and ‘4-Hydroxyisoleucine’. Now, I did say that you should stay away from ingredients which you cannot even pronounce properly. But consider this as an exception. These ingredients are effective in improving insulin efficiency and sensitivity, and copying insulin’s effects on muscle with another molecule altogether. A greater uptake of blood sugar by our muscles COULD lead to enhanced glycogen synthesis and ultimately greater gains in lean muscle. Basically, these enhance muscle recovery and growth without excess sugar use. I might sound like a broken record here, but AGAIN, this is completely unnecessary! The only two ingredients ISO SENSATION should have had was Whey Protein and Soy Lecithin. But NO! They’ll add fancy sounding ingredients and say that they’ll help guys make the lean muscle gains they have always dreamed of!
- D Complex – D Complex is a blend of the digestive aids ‘Protease’ and ‘Lactase’ which helps in having a superior digestibility, ensuring maximum absorption and utilization of the nutrients in this product. These enzymes contribute to the health of the digestive tract and can increase the utilization of whey protein. This actually might help some people with digestive issues, but for most of us, this is pretty much useless!
- Soy Lecithin – This is just added in almost every whey protein powder to improve its mix-ability. Nothing else. It is kind of necessary because otherwise the protein powder would not mix properly.
Well, there you go. I discussed about all the ingredients in a very nice depth. Most of these ingredients are unnecessarily put into the whey protein powder, but at least they are not harmful at all! For more details about each ingredient in this supplement, you may choose to Google. And, if you wish to buy a whey protein powder supplement with just two ingredients – whey protein and soy lecithin, then check out the honorable mention at the end of this post.
Let’s now talk about other important stuff.
- Taste – 9/10 – I advocate consuming Natural Flavor only. Natural Flavor tastes basically like unflavored stuff. If you mix it with milk, the protein shake will taste almost like milk only. The other flavors though (if you are going to go for them) taste awesome, or so I have heard.
- Price – 9/10 – Prices vary from place to place a lot! Here in India, it is around 6500 Rs. to 7500 Rs. for 5 lbs tub. Try buying from Amazon or SnapDeal or HealthKart as you’ll find it for cheap on these websites. It is actually already very cheap. Do not compare its price with other protein powders because here you get around 70 servings containing 30 grams of protein i.e. around 2100 grams of protein, whereas in other protein powders you get a lot less even though they are 5 lbs as well. Make the smart choice!
- Mix-ability – 10/10 – The Natural Flavor Protein Powder mixes very very well. And from what I have heard, the other flavored ones also mix nicely. No problem here. No lumps are formed.
- Container – 7/10 – The 5 lbs container (or tub) of ISO SENSATION 93 is very bad. Although unlike some of the protein powder manufacturing companies, ISO SENSATION does provide you with a protein scooper, it is very hard to open the tub and I do not like wasting so much strength everyday to open and close the protein power tub every time I need to have a protein shake. So, I transferred the protein powder into Optimum Nutrition’s 5 lbs cool and easy-to-open tubs, as you can see in the image below! I now use the ISO SENSATION 93’s tub for purposes like watering plants, washing my vehicles, etc. which is why the pictures of that tub are a little bit dirty in this post.
That’s it I guess! Comment below if you know any other protein powder which you think is better than this one or equal to this one. I would love to hear your opinion.
HONORABLE MENTION: Now Foods – Whey Protein Isolate (contains only two ingredients: whey protein and soy lecithin; and is now available on several online shopping websites in India).
Also, share this article with your health and fitness freak friends and relatives!